Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Quick Update: NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer

Hello Everyone!

Yesterday I talked about the Emma Hardie Cleansing Balm being a much hyped product in the beauty world, so today I am going to give a quick update/review on another cult favorite: NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer.  Unlike my love and excitement for the cleansing balm, this product has failed me.  I mentioned in my NARS and in Charge post that I repurchased the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer (AKA my second favorite concealer) and that I wanted to try it in conjunction with the NARS Sheer Glow Foundation.  After doing this for about two weeks, I realized I was having some irritation to current breakouts and an increase in new breakouts.  This had happened when I used the concealer before, but I couldn't pin point it at the time, so I continued using it until it was empty.  I am glad I realized it was this product, so I immediately stopped using, returned it to Sephora, and repurchased my trusted Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer.  This all being said, the concealer itself is not a bad concealer: it is creamy, covers well, does not crease, and is a great color match.....BUT none of this makes up for the fact that is irritates my already broken out face.  I decided to do some research on this product and compare it to the Make Up For Ever concealer and see if there was some huge difference in ingredients or if maybe the doe foot applicator on the NARS was just too unhygienic and caused the irritation.

My Findings:

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer
  • On both the NARS and Sephora website I was not able to find a complete breakdown of all of the ingredients in the product.....RED FLAG!
  • All Sephora lists is "What it is formulated WITHOUT: Parabens, Sulfates, Phthalates"
  • All NARS list is "Paraben-free, Alcohol free, Synthetic fragrance free, Non comedogenic"
Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer
  • Sephora has a listing of ingredients, while the Make Up For Ever website lists no ingredients.
  • Sephora lists the following ingredients and what they do:
    • Aqueous Emulsion of Volatile Oils with Optimized Pigment Cover: Aid in "fixing" the product to the skin with a matte finish.
    • Plastic Polymers: Creates a thin, water-resistant layer that resists humidity.
    • Allantoin: An active ingredient with healing and regenerative properties.
    • Microcrystalline
    • Serma Sensitive: An anti-inflammatory agent.
After doing my bit of research, I cannot say for sure it is a certain something in the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer that causes breakouts since both brands did not do the best job of listing their product's ingredients.  My conclusion is that a combination of the applicator being an unsanitary way of applying concealer and *maybe* a mystery ingredient are the reason this has not been the product for my skin.

I hope this post helps anyone considering purchasing the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer.  As I mentioned before, it is not a bad concealer, but if you have sensitive skin you may want to consider some other alternatives.  The Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer is a great option for covering the worst of blemishes, but it is quite expensive at $32.00.  If you do not have the budget for this, I would recommend the Physicians Formula Physicians Strength Concealer which is $9.99 and a great dupe!
Let me know if you found this post helpful, as I would love to do more updates on products that do not make the grade or are awful for broken out/breakout prone skin.
 
- Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment