Monday, December 8, 2014

Courtney Cooks: Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese

Hello Everyone!

Another new blog segment coming at you from my kitchen!  I have been much more into cooking in my adult years, so I thought I would share my recipes and ideas with you all. On my continuous journey to live a healthier lifestyle, I have found one kitchen tool that has helped tremendously.  Behold the SPIRALIZER!  You may be just as confused as everyone else I have told about this, but fear not as I will explain.  A spiralizer is a way to cut vegetables (or really anything) into noodle like shapes, as a healthier alternative to traditional pasta.  I bought mine on Amazon for $20.00 after a recommendation from a coworker.  If you are trying to eat low carb, or just looking to be a bit healthier, this is definitely a great investment.  Spiralizer aside, lets move on to the tasty recipe explained below for you to enjoy! :)


Ingredients:
1 large sweet potato
1 tbsp butter
1tbsp flour
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
Step 1:
Spiralize your peeled sweet potato using the B blade.  For more macaroni looking noodles, cut the sweet potato in half before spiralizing.
Step 1 Completed
Step 2:
Saute your spiralized sweet potato in some olive oil for 7-10 minutes (or level of desired tenderness)
Step 3:
Once your "noodles" are cooked, cover with a lid and add 1 tbsp butter to a saucepan and let melt.
Step 4:
Once the butter is melted, add in 1 tbsp flour and 1/3 cup of milk.  Stir until the consistency thickens.
Step 5:
Add 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, and sauteed sweet potato to the saucepan.  Stir until cheese has fully melted.
The finished product, YUM!
This has become one of my favorite recipes to make lately, as it is quick, easy, filling, and most importantly delicious!  Have you tried any unique sweet potato recipes?  If so, share below as I would love some recipe suggestions!

- Courtney

3 comments:

  1. Most difficult part of the process for cortana: peeling the potato without any injuries

    ReplyDelete