Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Fitness Journey Update

Hello Everyone!

It has been almost 3 months since I last blogged about fitness, and I am back to update you on my progress and how I would like to "fit fitness" into this blog moving forward.  My last post on 9/22/14 along with many more before that went up each Monday and involved some sort of exercise of the week.  At the time I was really enjoying doing a weekly post about one specific exercise to encourage people to expand their normal workout routines.  I would like to continue doing something like this, but not an every week thing, or at least not something I encourage people to do multiple times in a week.  Personally, I have my own strength training routine that I adhere to, then on the other days I exercise I try to incorporate different methods of cardio, strength, and core work all in one.  I felt it wasn't fair of me to promote weekly exercises I was not even doing along with you.  This being said, moving forward I will still post exercises, but I would like to expand it more to tips, best practices, or just neat new moves I have learned or am loving.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions or any specific fitness post you would like to see.

Now, back to my fitness journey.  I have mentioned before that over a 15 months ago (WOW time flies!) I was working my first post college job in a Corporate Fitness and Wellness Center.  During this time I became a Certified Personal Trainer and even a Certified Spinning Instructor.  I regularly participated in Group Exercise classes and did daily workouts.  During this time I became incredibly fit, and was loving how I looked and felt.  I was never out of shape before this, but it was nice to start my post-college life on a healthy note, in hopes I could maintain a great shape and lifestyle for my entire adult life.  Once I left this position (for the better in a career standpoint), I moved to a corporate job, but still in the health and wellness field.  The big difference was my work space.  I was no longer surrounded by people exercising and the constant reminder of fitness, but instead I was in a cubicle, at a computer most of the day, and dressed in corporate clothes.  Over the past 15 months I have struggled to balance work and fitness, but I think I am finally back in a good place and hope I can move forward with a healthy routine and lifestyle.

The week before Thanksgiving I finally made the change.  For the past 15 months I was still exercising and eating healthy, but it was not on a regular basis, so I never saw great results.  Instead of trying to change both my diet and exercise habits, I chose one to really focus on.  I made a goal to do 30 minutes or exercise for an entire week.  I was successful in my first mini challenge and have since maintained a 4 day a week average for working out.  I have been doing my three day strength training routine, with cardio and other types of workouts like: Insanity DVDs, Blogilates, Stretching, TABATA, and more.  I have lost 6-8 pounds and am feeling the difference!  I plan to continue my regular exercise, and once the holidays are over fully get back into my healthy eating habits.

I know this was a bit of a chat today, but sometimes it is nice to reflect on your goals and progress.  No one is perfect, but we can make differences in our lives, and sometimes it takes some failures to learn the best way to achieve success.

- Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment