Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Staple Healthy Foods

Hello Everyone!

Today I was planning on a completely different post for our Health topic, but the item still hasn't arrived....so I decided to share with you some of my healthy staple foods.  As I mentioned last week I am really trying to eat a healthier diet based on mostly meats, fruits, and vegetables.  I am doing this for both weight loss and a healthy lifestyle.  Once I reach my goal weight I want to continue healthy habits that are easily maintainable.  I have found that the best way for me to stick to a specific way of eating is to not buy any junk food or temptations!  I know this can be really difficult for people, but it really is the best way to avoid shoveling garbage in your mouth once you walk through your front door!  I try to keep certain things in my house at all times to ensure I  always have something healthy to eat.
 
I always try to keep berries in my fridge or freezer! They are my go to sweet food and curb my cravings for non healthy sweets!
I am someone who cannot function without breakfast, so when I am too lazy to whip up some eggs, oatmeal is the perfect way to start my day.
Similar to keeping berries on hand, I always have our freezer stocked with tons of vegetables. This helps me avoid eating carbs with my dinners.

Almonds, cashews, and walnuts are a great snack to have around. They are perfect for in between meals or to throw in my purse to avoid stopping for fast food while out and about.

Let me know if you have any staple foods you always have around your house.  I would love suggestions!

Remember stay positive and keep pushing for your goals :) You CAN do this!

- Courtney

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you sister! I'm interested in hearing your experience as you're getting through February. I'm planning on a March Madness myself...time to get healthy! I'm wondering how you got through not feeling like you are "a party pooper" and what worked best for you in being a positive, forward-moving force within your social environment.

    I've also been working toward choosing foods that support healthy living. You're totally right. If you don't bring it in, you won't have it to eat! I am actually amazed at how energizing it is to eat a piece of fruit or how tasty and amazingly satisfying it is to have a bowl of oatmeal with a banana. The buzz is incredible! I am happy with purchasing produce at Sam's...it is generally at a good stage of ripedness (is that right??) and is always a much better price than the conventional grocery store. Is that your experience? My second challenge regarding fresh foods is my laziness in learning how to keep it ripe as long as possible. Finally, I'm challenged with having cabinet space to store the storage containers for the fresh food. I think that tails back to your overhaul the home tips....time to recycle some furniture...save the environment, beautify the home, feel the satisfaction of working with your hands, and get the crazy out of the kitchen! I look forward to hearing your tips on my dilemmas! (Let's hope these are always my biggest dilemmas!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to add, I am an enemy of drinking water! I think it is a learned habit - my Mom hated water. sigh So my solution .... infused water. I'm sure I'm not doing it right, I don't know how to "infuse", but I add mint leaves, lemon, lime, and orange to my drinking water. Cucumber is another recommended ingredient but I can't get past the texture of it after it's been in water a while.

    There's a 2 week-long listing I've seen... it includes water infused each day with a different item...in order, cucumber, pomegranate, strawberry, basil & rosemary & ginger, blueberries, orange, grapefruit, pear, blackberry, raspberry, pineapple, mango, lime, sage & mint. The cost and ability to keep all these items fresh is a concern. Maybe we should buy the ingredients and split it up? I'm in if anyone wants to try!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome that you are incorporating fruit and veggies into your water. I wish I like the tasted of flavored water because it is supposed to have great health benefits! Not sure how to help you get over the texture, but you do not have to eat the fruit after? They also sell water bottles with infusers built right in so the fruit does not interfere with the water's texture, but just infuses its tastiness!

      Delete
  3. I would love to help you reorganize your kitchen to help support a healthier and more productive lifestyle!! :)

    ReplyDelete