Friday, January 23, 2015

The Selection Series: Book Review

Hello Everyone!

This past week instead of blogging I was reading my life away!  I was recommended The Selection Series by two of my friends, and I finally gave it a go.  I was not disappointed as I read all three books in the week, and read the last book just this past Sunday! Who needs 8 hours of sleep for Monday?  Since these books really entertained me, I thought why not give you all a little series review.

The Selection
The selection series is set in a dystopian future taking place in North America.  The land is known as the Kingdom of Illea and similar to the Hunger Games and Divergent, as there are 35 provinces that make up this kingdom.  On top of the 35 provinces, there is a caste system in place ranging from One to Eight; One being the royal family, and 8 being homeless people in the streets.  The story centers around, America Singer, who is a Five (Fives are artists and musicians) and involved in a secret relationship with, Aspen Leger, a Six (servants and housekeepers).  They have had quite the romance in the past 2 years, but something has come up that may change everything they have together…The Selection.  The Selection is when the Prince of Illea comes of age and chooses a wife out of 35 girls representing their provinces.  America is repulsed by this idea, as she is completely smitten with Aspen, but he along with her family encourage her to enter.  Low and behold she ends up being selected and is whisked away to the kingdom to compete for Prince Maxon's heart.  Although she has no interest in winning over the Prince, she soon finds that maybe her life as it was really wasn't what she had thought.
The Elite
Book Two centers around The Elite, which is the final group of girls remaining in the competition.  Having changed her mind about Maxon, America is trying her best to see a future for them, but gets off track with Aspen now serving as a guard at the palace.  She along with the final 5 girls deal with much more than fighting for Maxon's love and the crown.  The palace is under attack multiple times by Northern and Southern rebels, and America is trying to figure out what exactly is causing all of this turmoil.  She starts making some discoveries that again change her view on the Kingdom of Illea, but spark her to attempt to make some changes and be the voice of the people.
The One
The final book in the series still centers around The Elite and their quest for Maxon, but the attacks and downfall of the Kingdom become much more prominent.  America has found a voice, but she is not sure she wants this role.  She continues her struggle with her feeling toward Maxon and how she could possibly fill the shoes of a princess.  In the end, who will she choose?

I highly recommend this series for any ladies out there, who love a bit of romance, but also a strong female character.  These are the perfect books for a lazy weekend or beach read.  Apparently there is a fourth book coming out soon about Prince Maxon's daughter and her time with the selection. It will be released on May 5th, so stay tuned!

- Courtney

3 comments:

  1. hmmm, I am in the market for some fun chick-lit. I will have to check this out, thank you for the recommendation, xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what ? not the first time I heard about those books (always good reviews) so I may give it a go soon. At the moment I am reading The cuckoo's calling by Robert Galbraith , have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give them a go! And I have not read that book yet, but it is on my list. I think I'll go download it now :)

      Delete