Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sew Cute: Envelope Makeup Bag Tutorial


Hello Everyone!
I have always had a desire to learn how to sew, and finally did something about it a few years ago. I took a sewing class over Spring Break downtown at The Needle Shop. The class I took was Sewing 101 and we learned the basics and made a pillow with a zipper to boot! Taking this class really inspired me, so I asked for a sewing machine for my 21st birthday (not too wholesome...) and my wish was granted! I was so excited to have a machine and went out and bought a ton of fabric, buttons and tools, ready to start a sweatshop out of my house. Well as much as I wanted this to happen, I did not have much time to set aside for projects and eventually forgot about sewing all together.
After a year or two of my machine collecting dust, my mom suggested we take a class since she was getting the sewing bug. We took a class at Joann Fabric and Craft Store and I got the basics down once again. Even after this second class I was not putting time aside to work on anything. The last time I used my machine was on Valentine's Day to fix Jonny's beloved plaid pajama pants (BTW Jonny is my totally awesome boyfriend/blog editor....you'll meet him soon). Lets just say thank god he loves me beyond my sewing skills, as the pants turned out absolutely silly looking. I am not one who likes to fail at anything, so now that I have finally started my blog, I thought what a better way to amp up my creativity and DIY skills than force myself to do blog posts on projects I want to get done. I hope it keeps me accountable and helps inspire you to put some time aside for hobbies you enjoy, but never commit 100% to.
Today's project is an Envelope Makeup Bag using some cutesy cupcake fabric that I bought eons ago at the peak of my wannabe sewing phase. I chose the envelope bag because it is pretty basic, but also looks really pleasing. You do not have to use this bag for makeup, it can be used as a clutch, too. If all goes well today, I may go find some more "clutch appropriate" fabric and make a handbag or two. (any requests?!) I am going to stop typing now and get to work, so I hope you enjoy my first sewing tutorial.
Envelope Makeup Bag
What you need:
·         Fabric
·         Lining
·         Paper for pattern
·         Thread
·         Pins
·         Velcro
·         Button
·         Ruler
Step 1: Pattern
·         Create an envelope template on a piece of paper
o   Envelope top - 10" wide at the bottom
§  Cut 1 piece of fabric for envelope top
§  Cut 1 piece of lining for envelope top
o   Bag body - 10" across at the top and taper out 1" on each side, so bottom is 12"
§  Cut 2 pieces of fabric for each side of the body
§  Cut 2 pieces of lining for each side of the body

Step 2: Lining
·         Attach the lining to fabric
o   My lining was an iron on, but if yours requires another method make sure to apply before sewing bag together
Step 3: Machine Time!
·         Take both pieces of fabric and place them “wrong side” together.  (side of fabric not meant to be seen)
·         Pin the bottom edge together and sew
·         Once edge is sewn, sew in envelope top to the inside of one side of the bag
·         Sew up both side edges of the bag
Step 4: Finishing Touches
·       Now that bag is sewn together, but still inside out, cut any excess fabric along the seam
·       Flip the bag to the right side out making sure to push the edges out to make clean
·       Add Velcro to the closure and hot glue on a button of your choice
·       Enjoy!
One tip I would recommend that I neglected to do would be to HEM YOUR FABRIC SO IT HAS CLEAN EDGING!!!  Aside from that little issue, I think this bag turned out pretty well for my first sewing project in a few years.  My skills have a long way to go before I will be happy with my work, but practice makes perfect!  I encourage you to do something you love even if you are not an expert.  You will never succeed if you do not try!
Feel free to try out this tutorial, and I promise as I get better at sewing, so will my tutorials ;) 
- Courtney

1 comment: