Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Serial Podcast Review

Hello Everyone!

Today is the day I will finally review the ever so popular podcast, Serial.  Serial is a new podcast put on by the producers of This American Life (which is this extremely popular podcast….but I still have yet to listen to it).  Instead of reinventing the wheel, please read below about what Serial is about and all that jazz:
 
On January 13, 1999, a girl named Hae Min Lee, a senior at Woodlawn High School in Baltimore County, Maryland, disappeared. A month later, her body turned up in a city park. She'd been strangled. Her 17-year-old ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, was arrested for the crime, and within a year, he was convicted and sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison. The case against him was largely based on the story of one witness, Adnan’s friend Jay, who testified that he helped Adnan bury Hae's body. But Adnan has always maintained he had nothing to do with Hae’s death. Some people believe he’s telling the truth. Many others don’t.
 
Sarah Koenig, who hosts Serial, first learned about this case more than a year ago. In the months since, she's been sorting through box after box (after box) of legal documents and investigators' notes, listening to trial testimony and police interrogations, and talking to everyone she can find who remembers what happened between Adnan Syed and Hae Min Lee fifteen years ago. What she realized is that the trial covered up a far more complicated story, which neither the jury nor the public got to hear. The high school scene, the shifting statements to police, the prejudices, the sketchy alibis, the scant forensic evidence - all of it leads back to the most basic questions: How can you know a person’s character? How can you tell what they’re capable of? In Season One of Serial, she looks for answers.”  


Now that you get the gist, we can talk about Serial and its amazingness!  If you are not aware, which I am sure most of you are not, I hate listening to music!  I am one of the few weirdos in this world who drives in complete silence (unless I am in the car with Jon because he will not allow it) and I never listen to music while exercising or in the background of everyday tasks.  Now that you know this, it may be odd that I picked up a podcast, but I am so glad I did!  I remember back in fourth grade, my teacher had us listen to a recorded radio broadcast of The Cinnamon Bear each school day leading up until Christmas break, and I fell in love!  (Check it out here: http://www.cinnamonbear.org/)  Now that podcasts are a bit more mainstream and easily accessible, I am excited to finally find a form of media I enjoy listening to!

Serial was a recommendation from a YouTuber I watch who went on and on about how incredible it was, so I gave it a go.  I found it fascinating to actually hear about a real case opposed to some made up TV show plot, and the impact it has had on the community and families of those involved.  If you are someone who enjoys murder mysteries, I would definitely recommend this to you.  Serial became something I looked forward to each Thursday, much like when your favorite show is on weekly, and listened to each episode multiple times to hold me over until the next episode's release.   You can download Serial on your iPhone, iPod, or iPad via the Podcast App or download the Stitcher App.  Whatever choice you choose is completely free and worth the listen.  Serial will be coming out second season this year, but until then I am trying to find another podcast to fill the void!

Some other podcasts that I am loving right now are:
Welcome to Night Vale
Criminal
Invisibilia

Have you listened to Serial?  If so, what were your thoughts?  Do you listen to any other podcasts?  Let me know in the comments :)

- Courtney

2 comments:

  1. I have not listened to this, but lately I've been tuning into podcasts. I find them a nice alternative to commercial radio. They're like reading a book except someone else is doing the reading and you just get to listen, xo am

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you! I really enjoyed listening to Serial at the gym, it made my workouts fly by...and that's saying something ;)

    ReplyDelete