Monday, July 28, 2014

Never Let Me Go: Book & Movie Review

Hello Everyone!

I recently just finished the book Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, and I absolutely loved it.  It is a dystopian novel, but it is much different than many of the popular ones circulating these days (i.e. The Hunger Games, Divergent, etc.).  I thought since I enjoyed this book so much, I would review it for you....AND review the movie they made about the book.

Book Review - 8/10
The book is narrated by Kathy H. who goes back and forth between present time and her experiences at Hailsham, The Cottages, and life as a carer.  Hailsham is a boarding school of sorts, where Kathy and her two friends, Ruth and Tommy, live and attend "school".  I say "school", because this is not a typical boarding school, this is a distinguished home for clones to be educated and live while they grow up.  Since WWII, many scientific discoveries were made, so people can now live to over 100 years.....with the help of donations from those like Kathy, Ruth, and Tommy.  Kathy explains to the reader many experiences she and her two friends along with others experienced throughout their lives and seeks to find a purpose in their being.  There are many ups and downs along the way, but I think this book is beautifully written and captivating.  Without spoiling anything for you, I encourage you to check it out for youself.

Movie Review - 7/10
I found that the movie did a very good job of following the book, minus a few key detials....but I understand for a movie's sake that not everything from a book can be included (unless you want to watch a 7 hour movie).  One thing I loved about the movie was the acting, specifically the child actors who portrayed Kathy, Ruth, and Tommy.  They did a fantastic job at their roles and were very believable younger versions of the adult actors.  I did feel some parts of the movie were a bit rushed, but again for the sake of time...you just can't show it all.  Overall, I thought this was a good movie, not something I would ever buy on DVD, but I would watch again.

Have you read Never Let Me Go?  If so, did you enjoy the book?  What were some of your favorite parts?  Did you watch the movie?  How did you think it compared to the book?

- Courtney

3 comments:

  1. Oh I'm going to check that out! Sounds good! Gotta finish the goldfinch.. Then gone girl then onto this!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will see if I can lend it to you :)

    ReplyDelete