Monday, July 28, 2014

Exercise of the Week: Plank Up-Down

Hello Everyone!

As I am finding my rhythm with this blog, I thought it would be neat to start a weekly segment.  I am currently getting back on the fitness wagon and working towards improving my overall health and well-being.  To keep this motivation going, what better than a weekly exercise for all of us to try and potentially add to our fitness routines.  I am aware some or many of the exercise I debut will be things many have heard of or currently do, but why not take it to the next level or simply try something new!  I encourage you all to attempt these exercise at least 3 times a week.  I will always explain modifications, so do not feel discouraged if you cannot do it exactly how it is pictured or explained.  No one is perfect and we are on this journey together!  I chose this exercise to debut my Monday segment because I just introduced it to my friend at the gym last week.  She loved to hate it, but agreed it is a great exercise.  Okay, let's get moving!!!

Plank Up-Down
Target Muscles: Core, Shoulders, Triceps
Starting Position: Pushup position
Make sure body is in a straight line as picture above

**Modified Starting Position: Pushup position with knees on ground**
Perform all of the below arm movements while maintaining the above position for the modified exercise.

Step 1: Lower left arm onto forearm

Step 2: Lower right arm onto forearm
 
Step 3: Bring left arm back up to starting position on palm

Step 4: Bring right arm back up to starting position on palm to complete the exercise
I hope this exercise looks appealing to you all!  As I mentioned above I encourage you to do this at least 3 times this week.  You can either do set/repetition or do it for a specific amount of time (i.e. 30 seconds).

Let me know how it goes :)

- Courtney

4 comments:

  1. I did love to hate it but it is a great workout! Can't wait to get better at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Court, Nice Monday Motivator. I will add these to my routine tonight. xo AM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Court, I added these to my routine last night and held step 2 for a bit each time. Could feel the stretch in my abs,which badly need it. thanks for the tip, x m

    ReplyDelete